Sunday, September 7, 2008

Disrespect

I have often heard new moms talk about all the things that their children will "never" do......while those of us who have been around a little longer give a quiet chuckle under our breath! You will soon realize that children will do things that blow the walls off of all that you thought they might do! I can't tell you that my toddler will not pitch a fit but I will tell you what my response will be....EVERY time! Actually we are out of the toddler stage...my 5th child is 6 :( so we are out of that stage for now anyway!

My children pushed the limits, some sooooo much more than others but they all have pushed at one time or another. I can't guarantee that if you will handle things correctly when they are little all will be perfect when they are older but I can tell you that the saying...you reap what you sow....is oh so true! I was at a Christian home school football game Friday night. As I was sitting on the front row trying to watch the game.....well actually I wasn't trying to watch the game I was looking at my incredibly gorgeous husband who happens to be a coach :) ...... a mother and her 16ish year old daughter stopped right in front of me to have a discussion about something they disagreed about....both were quiet but the daughter stood there rolling her eyes at all the mom had to say and finally walked off.

OK...........first......mama, if you need to speak to your children.....DO NOT stand in front of the entire football stadium....this is embarrassing to your child. Secondly...you are reaping what you have sown. When you allow your 3 year old to get her way by having a bad attitude, when you allow your little ones to treat you with disrespect you can count on the fact that they will do it when they are 16 and it doesn't look so cute then! Disrespect should never be cute! I will write tomorrow about some of the ways that we handle this in our house...until then....LOVE THOSE BABIES!

1 comment:

StrivingtobelikeHim said...

I never imagined that I would have a daughter (14) who is so disrepectful to me and my husband and who is so mean to her siblings. It breaks my heart to see her act this way so I am looking forward to hearing how you deal with it at your house.

We have prayed together, read applicable scriptures, taken away privileges, and talked endlessly about respect, kindness, etc. Nothing seems to help. She will put on a good act until she gets her privileges back and then it's back to the bad attitude.

HELP!

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Elie Lash